Word document importing on Tablo is pretty cool. You can drop in a file and see a publish-ready book in seconds. It is possible to drop in an unprepared, unformatted document and see it turn into a perfect book. However, for the best results, we recommend spending a few minutes tidying up your document..
- - - - -
The easiest way to prepare your Word document is to add a page break between each chapter and save the book as a .docx file. Tablo will use each page break to separate new chapters and will automatically work out the title and content that needs to follow
1. Adding a page break is by far the easiest way to format your document. You should add a page break at the end of each chapter (including forewords and introductions), so that your new chapter starts at the top of a fresh page.
Even if your chapter conveniently ends at the bottom of a page, add a page break because that's what Tablo uses to read your book.
Make sure you add a page break directly after the last line of your text to prevent any blank spaces in your document after upload.
2. Page breaks can be found in the 'Insert' menu on Microsoft Word.
3. Another thing that will help us read your document is to make sure your chapter names/titles are formatted using the Styles option.
4. Highlight each chapter name and then click the Heading 1 style. Need further help working with Word styles? See their guide here.
5. Also make sure that the main body of your content is consistently formatted using the 'Normal' Style (or your own chosen Style if you prefer a different format).
The most important thing is to make sure that all your content is the same Style, and all your chapter names are a different Style from your content (but consistent with each other).
5. Now it's time to save your document. Tablo supports a few document formats, but the best results come with .docx files. Remember, .docx is different to .doc - it's been Microsoft standard since 2008.
6. To save your document as a .docx file, click 'Save As' in Microsoft Word and choose '.docx' from the list of formats, as seen below.
7. If your document is formatted correctly, everything should be swell!
8. In the event that there is an issue, please reach out via our Help application. Feel free to attach your document as well and we'll take a look. We're always happy to help :)